Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Redefining the purpose of this blog

Also pasted from baywords. Baywords is down often, blogger isn't.

The purpose of my writings here are twofold. The first being a laying down of thoughts and ideas as they come to me, to later go over and organize for a book. Eventually I want to collect my learned knowledge of the world and share it with people yet born. We learn from history so much, yet we ask so little of it. We learn small fragments of lives of the past, distorted stories from times long gone by, with people much different than we are today. Ever evolving, now we usually evolve in groups, societies if you will. With the coming of the digital age we’ve seen world-wide melting pots form of collected knowledge and creativity. Perhaps it will be the cornerstone to our next great breakthrough in human life. It has allowed me to flourish and even get carried away, which is easy to do as everyone I know does. It is too easy to get stuck in simple thinking, of the here and now, of advertisements and tacos; puppies and guns; television and cars; laws and morals. All these things are man made, someone thought of these ideas and shared them with others. Most of the basic ideas of societies have been established for hundreds of years. It’s a shame we still hold on to ancient customs, with the universe at arms length. I’m rambling on a bit, but it’s the point of this blog. I have the freedom to ramble and it’s sometimes a very good thing. It’s a way to see my thoughts as they unfold, albeit not all of them. Translating ideas and abstracts into words can sometimes be very difficult to me. I either haven’t the vocabulary or as I believe my wit is not as sharp as I would like. But I manage, I’m happy with what I have. Just that I can think such large thoughts about the universe, light-years ,atoms and plasma! I am blessed with knowledge that the ancient Greeks were not. They had many ground breaking ideas and many of them still hold today, but imagine being in that time, with your knowledge of today. The earth was still flat to them! I’m happy to know the earth is spherical. If I wanted to see for myself, I could do an experiment and prove it. It’s not hard. Any of these things I can see for myself by experimentation, I can rediscover the laws of motion if I was so inclined. But that’s a waste of brain power. It’s great when you get an idea, or make a discovery. But to rediscovery isn’t nearly as exciting and useful. I take in the knowledge from my peers and my predecessors and mash them into my neural network. I am still young, a third or forth of my life I have lived, yet there is so much more I want to learn. So much more I need to share. I’ve always felt a need to teach, to share knowledge. It warms my heart and makes me feel useful in this world. To open another’s mind to the reality of curiosity gives me butterflies. It’s the same feeling of joy I get when I discover or read something interesting and mind altering. Hopefully I will be able to do this just for you.

No comments: