Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Evolving the Machines [wip]

Lately things have been moving along. Life does that, whether you are ready or not. I get caught up in the menial tasks of daily life that most people over involve themselves into sometimes but I am still me. I am still happy. I am able to think freely and have a relatively nice life. I’ve been playing with old computers again. I will make something by Science! Computers have came a long way since I was born. Around the time I was born the C64 was released. Now, twenty five years later we have computers that weren’t even imagined then. The sad thing about it is I don’t feel a passion for it. I think I’ve found out why. As Helm said without restrictions artists don’t know what to do. With limits we can become artistic and play with our medium. With no boundaries we get confused and lost. This happens to me more than I would like to admit. Many times I become overwhelmed with the limitless feelings of the world. I cannot shape it, I cannot change it. I must exist in it. I used to believe I was born in the wrong time. But this day and age is so much more than it has been. Being a non-elite person (which is by birth only) in any other past time but now would be even worse. The knowledge would be closed off. Just in the past 100 years has science stepped above and beyond anything religion could dare to comprehend. Not only have I the knowledge of thousands of years of writings but I am in the computer age. The age of the internet, where all countries can be connected. I’ve talked to people online that I would never be able to have conversed with even 50 years ago. That in itself is a reward. At any rate I just want to explain my techno hobbies and interests. It’s one of our most complex and multiuseful tools. The computer can do anything we tell it.

Tools. This word conjures up many images to you. I’m sure some even have special tools they’ve made for themselves. This is an important part of who we are. The ability to work beyond our physical and more recently mental capabilities have been our foundation upon which we rule this realm among other beasts. In the years which I’ve been alive things have changed what seem drastically. We are using, most obliviously, tools of high caliber and thousands of years in the making. Take the airplane for example. It was a fairytale dream 200 years ago. Look at our trip to the moon, just recently have we been out of our comfort zone that is the earth. I haven’t been in space, but people have. An amazing feat. Possibly the most amazing feat we’ve done yet. What will happen in the next 100 years? Well, the earth evolves slowly and we used to evolve slowly. Now we evolve every day. Constantly updating our tools (cars, phones, guns, etc) to match our thriving need to do as little as possible work, with as much as possible of a reaction. We are in fact controlling and bending the world around us to our will. Not on a great of a scale as to easily destroy everything, but close enough. We must be careful. I see our technology rising far quicker than our humanism. We haven’t tackled the hard issues here. The education of the people of the world, the understanding of our mind and how to overcome the animal basic instincts with logic and happiness. We struggle with these things on a personal basis. When should it not be a community effort to help each other. Are we not all on the same planet? Do we not drink the same waters? Do we not have fathers and mothers? Do we not bear children and become fathers and mothers? It should be our responsibility to teach our young and our old alike to think for themselves and be open with ideas. Things change, sometimes rather suddenly and without your or anyone’s consent. This is how things work. We cannot control everything. We try, by Science do we try. What do we control though? What do we have power over? Our creations, our machines.

No comments: